Subject: Re: 4000/90 questions
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/15/2000 07:25:48
Hi !

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I've now got a 4000/90 (close on the heels of getting a 4000/60 wow!) and
> I'm trying to set it up as my NetBSD vax build machine. It has an LCSPX
> frame buffer installed in it and when it powers up this card complains (two
> question marks) about something. The system will POST without it but I was
> wondering if this is just a harmless error (like the PMAG-B with no monitor
> or something more serious.

Usually, SPX-cards complain this way about the missing signal termination. The
error doesn't show every time, but you may usually ignore it. Connect a
monitor, flip S3, and check out, if you get a picture.

And, to say it in advance: After having run NetBSD on it, you will get an
error in SYS also, maybe for the rest of your life :( Doesn't seem to matter,
but looks a bit ugly (i think, NVRAM contents are damaged by NetBSD or so).

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.