Subject: Re: Netbooting netbsd.ram.gz fails on vax 4000/200
To: None <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/2000 02:06:55
On 11 Dec, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> Is there somewhere which describes the exact process of partitioning and
> installing boot blocks for the vax?  If sysinst isn't available, I'll
> finally have to learn the nuances of partitioning, etc... on the vax.
Partitioning is done with disklabel(8).
If you have a virgin disk simply write the kernel generated disklabel on
it:
disklabel sd1 > dl
disklabel -rR sd1 dl
This must be done to get a valid disklabel on to the disk. This is a
pre requirement for
disklabel -i sd1
type "?" for help...
a is the boot part.
b is swap.
c is the entire disk
d to h are data parts.
After newfs(8)ing, mounting the parts. and untaring the dist-sets make
the disk bootable:
disklabel -B sd1
instals the bootstrap. Be sure that the a-part. contains the boot
programm ("/boot") and a kernel.
Make the devices ("cd ..../dev ; .MAKEDEV all"), edit ..../etc/fstab,
..../etc/rc.conf and reboot.
That's the whole magic.
--

tschüß,