Subject: Re: setjmp/longjmp and pth
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/11/2000 14:23:54
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, der Mouse wrote:

: > I think pth deserves some leeway, though, because being a portable
: > thread library with almost no MD code isn't easy.
:
: Since there is no portable context save/restore mechanism, a portable
: thread library with no MD code is not possible, not short of something
: like a complete C interpreter engine (or compiler to p-code, and p-code
: engine).
:
: I would recommend, for what it may be worth, that pth stop trying to
: pretend it's free of MD code and drop in context save and restore
: routines for each of the machines it supports, with a document to help
: people write such routines for new machines.

A point of information: MIT pthreads (and, I'd assume, unproven-pthreads)
does the *same*thing*, and it does have MD context handling code (to handle
being able to change contexts based on signal interceptions).

The whole point of pth is not to be MIT pthreads.  [sig]longjmp() is
perfectly adequate on most platforms; if it isn't adequate on vax, that's an
argument for implementing [gs]etcontext() (which pth will support if
available), not for "fixing" pth.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/