Subject: Re: Repeating: Boot question for 1.5
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2000 15:22:45
>I didn't get any replies to this query the first time I sent it, so I'm
>trying again.
>
>With the release of 1.5/VAX, I notice that there is no boot.fs.gz file to
>benefit those of us who are booting/installing from tape. Just netboot files.
>
>Is this issue being addressed? Or is it something I can address on my own?
>I do not, as yet, have a viable netboot server operational, so I can only
>boot from tape at this time.

I had basically the same problem on my MVII critter.  I had to bring
it up off tape from 1.4.1, because that was the only spare boot tape
I had laying around, and then on a spare drive run up a 1.5Beta
manually, making sure to put in the correct boot bits.  I remember
seeing a bootfs in 1.4.2, and I think in 1.4.3, so you could probably
use 1.4.3 bootfs, and load up that system, as a start.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to load the boot.fs from 1.4.3 and
instead install the 1.5 bits directly off tape from that?  I have done
that in the old 4.3 and Sunos boxes, but don't know how tightly knit the
boot.fs and the install bits are, in NetBSD.  If the install scripts
are just unrolling tarballs, then it probably shouldn't matter, if
the correct boot bits are written from the installed tarballs.
On a lark, you might try something like that.

IFF someone can roll a proper VAX 1.5 boot.fs, I would chime in a set of
virtual kudos, etc, too.  If not, if someone can tell me what to invoke,
where, I will try to roll one, provided it gets put in the archives.
It really needs to be there.

> 	Thanks much...

Thanks to all the VAX crewe, too....

Bob