Subject: Re: Need help with DILOG DQ-132 Tape formatter.
To: Andrew Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/2000 08:54:59
Hi Andy,

At 09:24 AM 12/3/00 -0500, Andrew Sporner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am back in VAXland with another MV-III.  I have a Fugitsu
>M2444 9 track tape drive connected to a DILOG DQ-132.  I am
>currently working with VMS and it sees the device as MSA0:
>I can try to mount it and I get a PARITY ERROR after the reels
>move back a forth a few times.

I'm guessing that the drive was set up for 'no parity' when it was hooked
to the Sun and the VAX is expecting it to send parity. Look at the jumpers
in the back (I believe they are near the data connector but it has been at
least 10 years since I messed with a 9-track from a Sun box)

>Is there some setting that is needed?  When I do a 'show dev /full msa0:'
>it reports ODD PARITY.

Yes, the drive, controller, and operating system all have to agree on
whether or not you are using parity. It sounds from your description like
the operating system and controller agree but the drive isn't signed up :-)

>Also, when the TKQ-70 CONTROLLER and the PERTEC card is in the
>cage, the TKQ-70 disappears.  By themselves they are ok.

This is because they are probably both trying to be the "primary" tape
drive and thus appearing at the standard CSR. You will need to jumper one
to the secondary tape CSR. If you switch the TQK70 it will appear as MUB0

--Chuck