Subject: Re: Testing 4000/60 memory
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/01/2000 09:19:04
Well I have 104MB in my 4000/60 now and the memory test is quite slow :-)

There is the prom test which is invoked with 'TEST MEM' (pretty obvious
right?) and a couple of people have indicated that if this test is passed
then this is good enough. There isn't much discussion of _how_ it tests
however and for repeated tests I ended up using an Aspect script in ProComm
to re-run the command several times (all night basically) and it has passed
every time.

Clearly this is going to replace my VS3100/M76 as my primary build machine.
I also had a pair of SCSI disks in a hard disk bracket for a 4000/60 so I
installed those (RZ26's, BTW does anyone have the jumper settings for
them?) on a whim I tried booting them and one of them boots to VMS 5.5-2H4!
So I preserved the license PAKs it had installed and now I'm reconfiguring
for NetBSD.

I downloaded the 1.5 stuff but noticed that its missing a couple of pieces,
the one I'm looking for is the ISO CD image that I can burn onto a CD-ROM.
If the layout is documented somewhere I can probably create one, if it
isn't documented I can try to copy the layout of the 1.5_ALPHA one.

--Chuck