Subject: Re: uVax II lives
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/30/2000 12:07:21
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Michael Kukat wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, bart sikkes wrote:

> > My question is and this may sound a little foolish, how do i install
> > programs? In linux i download the rpm file and everything goes just fine.
> > But how do i have to install something like apache or samba on a uVax II?
>
> Look at the command pkg_add and learn about the others. There are several
> commands starting witk pkg_, which do this package handling. The other thing
> is to use the ports, i think they are in /usr/pkgsrc or so in NetBSD. There
> you can just type "make install" in the interesting subdirectory, NetBSD
> fetches the sources, patches them, builds them and installs them. Ok, this
> could take a while on a MicroVAX II :)

Not that it's particularly relevant, but damn I love pkgsrc and NetBSD's
implementation of a packaging system.  I know it was born from FreeBSD's
packaging, but the NetBSD implementation is just so slick.  In comparison,
RPMs just suck.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
So Sigmund Freud, William Shatner, Bill Clinton, and James Earl Jones
are trapped in an elevator.  I think it would go SOMETHING like this...
HELP!  WE'RE TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR WITH WILLIAM SHATNER!!!  -- K.