Subject: Re: uVax II lives
To: bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/30/2000 07:14:48
Hi !

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, bart sikkes wrote:
> Now it all works and we even have internet connection, the next question
> comes up. What to do now?

Playing around a bit? Porting some applications? Making it a mailserver?

> My question is and this may sound a little foolish, how do i install
> programs? In linux i download the rpm file and everything goes just fine.
> But how do i have to install something like apache or samba on a uVax II?

Look at the command pkg_add and learn about the others. There are several
commands starting witk pkg_, which do this package handling. The other thing
is to use the ports, i think they are in /usr/pkgsrc or so in NetBSD. There
you can just type "make install" in the interesting subdirectory, NetBSD
fetches the sources, patches them, builds them and installs them. Ok, this
could take a while on a MicroVAX II :)

> My second question is about the kernel. In linux i know how to upgrade a
> kernel but how do i do that on the uVax II?

Look into /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/conf, there is a file called "GENERIC". Copy
this to another file (i mostly use the machine name), edit it, do a
"config <file>", it tells you about the compile directory (../compile/<file>),
there you just do a "make depend && make" and go to bed.

If you did it right, you have a new kernel in the morning, just
"cp netbsd /". Dont forget to "mv /netbsd /netbsd.old", if your kernel is
not that good for your hardware :)

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.