Subject: uvax 2 netbsd installation
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/29/2000 19:56:14
Hello guys

You all missed me? guess not

But i'm back with mosre questions. Last time we figured out the uVax II
missed a harddisk controller. After some time a guy from my home country
(the netherlands) send me one. This week we started to work with it again.
We have a number of problems.

The first time we booted it with the harddisk controller we got into the old
OS Vax/VMS. This hung during the mounting of something called DATA2. because
we weren't really interested in running Vax/VMS we rebooted and went into
netboot. The first time we booted the 1.5 beta kernel but couldn't really do
anything. So we booted the install kernel. This worked better i'm sure we
saw three harddisk during the booting called ra0, ra1, ra2. We followed the
instructions on screen and the install kernel found one harddisk of 85 MB.
It started partitioning it and asked which packets we wanted to install. We
chose the one we wanted. After it wanted to know how we wanted to install
the packets. We chose for nfs and then things went wrong.

We had to fill in some information and did that to our best knowledge. After
that the installer tried to ping the nameserver and that went wrong. We got
0 packets send 0 packets received. We tried another nameserver and pinging
that also failed. Even ping it's own ip address failed (i take it, it still
knows that from the booting)
And without a good ping it wouldn't install.

We tried to find the files local, but somehow we couldn't get back to where
the vax boots from. There we had placed the files so they could be found.

After this had failed we tried to boot back to the normal kernel to see if
we could come up with another idea. Now we noticed another message during
boot.
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 2 model 3
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
mscpbus1: couldn't set ctlr characteristics, sa=1f8
mscpbus1: can't init, controller hung

After this we couldn't boot back into Vax/VMS. Not to strange i figure
because the NetBSD install probably removed all VMS information.

So now we have nothing. When we try to do the install again it says we don't
have any harddisks to install on. Does anybody have a idea about what we did
wrong and what we can do to fix this?

We have placed the RQDX3 controll in the first free slot, on top. We skipped
the slot with the Grant continuity card (id M9047)
card. Could we remove that one and place the RQDX3 there? and does it master
where we place it, top or bottom?

Further more we find the harddisks a bit strange, during the first installer
boot we saw three disks. But install only could find one of 85 MB and that
is the second one if you count them from top to bottom.

all help is welcome,
bart

ps: the complete dmesg log:
NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA2 (GENERIC) #1: Tue Sep 12 09:14:10 PDT 2000
    matt@cheetah.local:/other/vax/kobj/GENERIC

MicroVAX II
total memory = 9208 KB
avail memory = 5912 KB
using 140 buffers containing 560 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
ibus0 at mainbus0
uba0 at ibus0: Q22
dz0 at uba0 csr 160100 vec 304 ipl 17
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 5 model 3
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK50
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 2 model 3
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
mscpbus1: couldn't set ctlr characteristics, sa=1f8
mscpbus1: can't init, controller hung
qe0 at uba0 csr 174440 vec 764 ipl 17
qe0: deqna, hardware address 08:00:2b:02:b5:87
boot device: qe0
root on qe0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
nfs_boot: my_addr=192.168.1.13
nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.255.0
root on vaxserver:/export/vaxclient/root
Clock has lost -18994 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
root file system type: nfs