Subject: Serial Questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: James Green <jamesg@PARRIMARK.COM.AU>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/28/2000 09:49:20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C058CC.AD698F00

Hello All,

Please accept my apologies in advance for this question, but I am relatively
new to this end of town and am a little confused....

I am at a stage where my NetBSD/i386 box is almost finished being setup for
the vax netboot.  My vax is a MicroVAX 3 in a BA123.  I am just a bit
confused with where I am going to see the output of the kernel.  On the back
there is a panel marked Emulex with 8 Male DB25's.  These are connected to
an Emulex card with not much more than it's name on it.  These DB25's are
ladled Channel 1 to Channel 8.  Should I be plugging in a terminal on #3?

The box also came with a VT320 and a cable that seems to connect the DB25 on
the back of the VT320 to a 15pin (-ish :-) female elsewhere on the back of
the box.  There is a 3 position switch near this 15pin with a red 7-segment
"digit" type LED indicator.  There is a dial next to the LED that looks like
baud speed.  There are three symbols next to the switch, but it's not
immediately clear what they mean.  Should I stick with this VT320 and play
with the switch??

Please accept me reiterating my apologies,  I am sure this has been covered
before but I am having trouble translating the information to the hardware I
have in front of me.

Thanks to all for the other help btw, this list is a little pot-o-gold :-)

James

------_=_NextPart_001_01C058CC.AD698F00

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Serial Questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Please accept my apologies in advance =
for this question, but I am relatively new to this end of town and am a =
little confused....</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am at a stage where my NetBSD/i386 =
box is almost finished being setup for the vax netboot.&nbsp; My vax is =
a MicroVAX 3 in a BA123.&nbsp; I am just a bit confused with where I am =
going to see the output of the kernel.&nbsp; On the back there is a =
panel marked Emulex with 8 Male DB25's.&nbsp; These are connected to an =
Emulex card with not much more than it's name on it.&nbsp; These DB25's =
are ladled Channel 1 to Channel 8.&nbsp; Should I be plugging in a =
terminal on #3?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The box also came with a VT320 and a =
cable that seems to connect the DB25 on the back of the VT320 to a =
15pin (-ish :-) female elsewhere on the back of the box.&nbsp; There is =
a 3 position switch near this 15pin with a red 7-segment =
&quot;digit&quot; type LED indicator.&nbsp; There is a dial next to the =
LED that looks like baud speed.&nbsp; There are three symbols next to =
the switch, but it's not immediately clear what they mean.&nbsp; Should =
I stick with this VT320 and play with the switch??</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Please accept me reiterating my =
apologies,&nbsp; I am sure this has been covered before but I am having =
trouble translating the information to the hardware I have in front of =
me.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks to all for the other help btw, =
this list is a little pot-o-gold :-)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">James</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C058CC.AD698F00--