Subject: Re: 3 serial console questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/20/2000 08:50:22
Michael Kukat wrote:

>Usually, there is a little DIP switch calles "S3" on the VAXstations. If
this
>switch is shifted up, you usually have the serial console. Just try it out,
>but AFAIK, on all my VAXstations, the uppper position is serial console.

This is correct - for all VAXstations in the 3100 and 4000 series
(with the possible exception of the VLC which I don't have
much experience of). Up is "alternate console", down is "normal
operation" (i.e. you need a graphics head).

For the VAXstation 3100 series, the switch is at the back, for
the VAXstation 4000-60 and -9x it's at the front, underneath the
little panel (and clearly marked "S3"); don't confuse it with the
one to the left marked with a phone and a speaker. I think
the switch for the VLC is at the side, but see comments above
about lack of experience ...

In all cases, the alternate console is the printer port (which
has a printer icon). Somewhat confusingly, the VS4000 series
boxes (again, this does not necessarily apply to the VLC) have
*two* ports with a printer icon: an MMJ and a DB25. AFAIK you
can use either since they are connected in parallel internally.

Antonio

arcarlini@iee.org