Subject: Re: Got mixed up tape autorewinding fixed....thanks!
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/14/2000 09:53:35
> > Thanks for the tip on redoing the tape devices.  That cured my autorewind
> > foibles I was having on the NetBSD-1.5Beta load.  Now my 9 track reels
> > are spinning happily into the sunset, in non-rewinding mode.
>
> I think I missed the middle of this.  But I deduce that the real
> problem was that the use of bits in the minor device number to specify
> rewind/no-rewind was not consistent between your /dev files and the
> actual device driver.

Yes, when I updated to the 1.5B1, I had to delete the tape devices
and remake them.  Then the driver properly non-rewound tapes.
Apparently I had been carrying forward 1.4ZB devices on the tapes.
Someone mentioned that the minor numbers were off, and suggested
I delete and remake the tape devices.  That cured the problem.

Thanks

Bob