Subject: RE: PDP-11 thoughts
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/14/2000 10:13:47
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Linux is more modern in the meaning that it was written later. Not any
> > other claims on modernity that I know of... :-)
> > And do you really think the Linux people have any chance of getting that
> > bloat to fit on a PDP-11?
>
> 	Modern in the sense of (probably) more actively developed,
> 	and certainly in the sense of less mature and more opportunities
> 	for contributing :)

No arguing about that either.

> 	They are aiming for a 400-500k footprint on an 8086 or similar.

Wayyyy too much for a PDP-11, unless they have some serious overlaying
scheme in mind. (Do they know what overlaying is?)

Anyhow. I doubt Linux, NetBSD or any other project is likely to be
runnable on a PDP-11. Apart from the memory requirements, most code makes
way too many assuptions that an int is 32 bits.
Not to mentions all the tools...

	Johnny