Subject: RE: PDP-11 thoughts
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/13/2000 19:55:57
	Dropping port-pmax from this reply, as it doesn't have the
	same history of disccussions about random wise old dec hardware :)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	If you _really_ want to put a more modern OS onto the box
> > 	you could start with ELKS (The Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset) at
> > 		http://www.elks.ecs.soton.ac.uk/intro.php3
>
> Linux is more modern in the meaning that it was written later. Not any
> other claims on modernity that I know of... :-)
> And do you really think the Linux people have any chance of getting that
> bloat to fit on a PDP-11?

	Modern in the sense of (probably) more actively developed,
	and certainly in the sense of less mature and more opportunities
	for contributing :)
	They are aiming for a 400-500k footprint on an 8086 or similar.

> > 	Personally, I'd leave 2.11 on the PDP and concentrate on NetBSD
> > 	on a vax or similar :)
>
> Definitely.

	Its the only way to fly :)

                David/absolute