Subject: Re: EUREKA! My DECstation 5400 is a VAXstation 3520 Dual CPU!
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/09/2000 15:42:14
> i stand corrected,  Ultrix _did_ run on the KA60. Looking thru the
> sources, i see comments that the ka60 support originally forked off of
  ^^^^^^^ hmm...(:+}}...
> the KA650 support.

Well, for the sake of discussion, WHICH version of Ultrix, and how is
the critter actually booted?  When I boot a cd with Ultrix 4.2A or
4.5, I can get it to boot the cd, load the kernel, and then when it
jumps to the kernel, it totally freezes up.  I also tried bringing
in a fresh ultrix install on a disk and just boot the disk, same thing.
IFF I can get some form of Ultrix up, then we have a platform from
which to try some NetBSDisms.

B DKA400 boots the cd OK
B DKA0 boots the existing VMS OK.

That would suggest the booting process and hardware is somewhat
functional.

Any idea why it freezes?  Someone else on the list(?) I think also
has had the same lockup problems in a 3520.  Was that you, or someone
else, and did it get resolved?

> Some interesting things in there include the fact that apparently the
> shoddy Qbus support was not the processor's fault but the way they
> designed it all to fit together; there's a regular CQBIC on the
> processor. The mbus options evidently were never intended to be changed
> or upgraded- they're identified in the bus initialization routines in the
> processor support module! (yuck!)
> It looks like they intended the Qbus to be the main means of expansion,
> and the mbus was just a way to attach a qbus. The mbus does not seem to be
> a nexus interconnect, though, which makes this even kludgier. I think
> mbus sucked more than they planned on it, and the Qbus support then was a
> failed idea.

The only Qbus support I might need is TKQ70 for booting, but after that
I just want to use the scsi bus.  It should make a fine 4 drive scsi VAX
IFF we can get something running on it.  That would leave only the Mbus
requirement, and maybe if only that is used for the dedicated design
layout and nothing else strange, maybe it will work OK.

Strange critter, though.... strange critter.

What is it with my luck and unearthing strange VAXencritters.....(:+{{...

Bob