Subject: RE: EUREKA! My DECstation 5400 is a VAXstation 3520 Dual CPU!
To: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/09/2000 09:03:22
At 04:46 PM 11/9/2000 +0000, Carlini, Antonio wrote:
>NetBSD Bob wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the great info Antonio.  I would love to get a BSD up on it,
> >NetBSD if possible, but, if nothing else, then Ultrix.  Unfortunately,
> >when I boot an Ultrix CD on it (B DKA400), it reads the CD, boots the
> >kernel, then jumps to the start point and freezes.  I saw that McGuire
> >or someone else in the group has had the same problem, a couple of years
>
>The chances are that Ultrix was never supported on this box. Ultrix
>support for the later VAXstations (such as the VAXstation 4000
>series for example) was spotty to non-existent.

ULTRIX was definitely supported on this box since it was used to test
the SMP support in ULTRIX V4.0.  The box uses the dreaded SII chip to
do SCSI and while there is a SCSI driver for in NetBSD/pmax it sucks
and needs to be rewritten.

The 3520 was also called the FireFox and was the only VAX developed on
the West Coast.  It also has a built-in LANCE (le) interface in addition
to the SII (scsi).  The Q-Bus controller/adapter was strange.

It should be possible to get NetBSD running on it but it'll be one of
more challenging hardware to write for.