Subject: Re: EUREKA! My DECstation 5400 is a VAXstation 3520 Dual CPU!
To: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/09/2000 11:31:56
> 	>I would luv to get NetBSD (or Ultrix on it), but have no success
> 	>getting the thing to boot from prom very well, except on its one
> 	>VMS 6.1 RZ56 disk.
>
> 	If you want NetBSD on it I think you need to start
> 	scribbling code. Or wait until another one turns up ...

Thanks for the great info Antonio.  I would love to get a BSD up on it,
NetBSD if possible, but, if nothing else, then Ultrix.  Unfortunately,
when I boot an Ultrix CD on it (B DKA400), it reads the CD, boots the
kernel, then jumps to the start point and freezes.  I saw that McGuire
or someone else in the group has had the same problem, a couple of years
back from an old listfeed.  Any idea as to what is causing Ultrix to
freeze?    Missing board, or something strange about the dual CPU?
I have tried Ultrix 4.2A and Ultrix 4.5 on it by booting from CD, AND
by hand carrying a running scsi disk over and trying to boot that. I also
tried with graphics head and without graphics head (serial console).
So far, nil.  They all Freeze.  I noted in a webpage somewhere that
it was supposed to run Ultrix-32 V3.0?????  IFF that is the OS level
it is supposed to run, I need to find a cd of that somewhere, IFF it
exists, or find the right settings for a TKQ70 boot tape (I tried it but
the board switches or jumpers are not right for the VS60 --- I changed
the original switch settings from MV3300 mode to MVII mode, and like
a stupido, forgot to write down the original settings...grrrr.).
When I plugged it into the Qbus on the VS60, the machine froze up,
indicating wrong settings, probably.

Any insights, or suggestions are appreciated.  This critter would
make an excellet NetBSD box, someday, maybe, IFF I can at least get
some *nix up on it for starters.  With the 4 big SCSI bays up top,
and all the cabling intact for same, it gets around the horrid DSSI
disk problems of later VAXen (expensive, hard to find, etc.).

Thanks, Antonio.....

Bob