Subject: RE: EUREKA! My DECstation 5400 is a VAXstation 3520 Dual CPU!
To: 'NetBSD Bob' <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/2000 20:58:46
	>Well, after a long dry spell, I seem to have had fortune keying out
on a

	Must be a whole week now :-)

	>number from the back of the case on my VAXencritter.
	>
	>The number was VS60-S.
	>
	>It returned from a hardware page the following:
	>
	>VAXstation 3520 Firefox Dual CPU KA60 CVAX with Mbus and Qbus!

	Yup VS60 would be a VS3520 (there are two CPUs per module
	so two modules would give you a quad CPU 3540). The uprated
	speed version (VS 3820/3840) is mentioned in the manual but
	never hit the streets AFAIK. The CPU chips are CVAX but there
	is little technical information on these boxes of the sort needed
	to develop OS support.

	The slots are 1 through 12 starting on the right as you look at it.

	1, 2 and 3 are for graphics modules.
	4 is for the I/O module
	5 is for an optional memory module
	6 is a second dual-CPU module or memory (both optional)
	7 is the primary dual-CPU module
	8 is a memory module (mandatory I think)
	9 is a Qbus adapter module
	10 is for an optional TQK70
	11, 12 reserved but can be used for Qbus

	Qbus continuity is very weird in this box it goes:
	   top half of 10-11-12 and then reverses to do
	bottom half 12-11-10

	The modules you might find are:

	L2001-00        KA60-AA                           VAXstation 3520
CPU
	L2002-00        DFQWA                            M-bus to Q-bus
adapter
	L2003-00                                                I/O module
	L2004-00                                                Graphic Base
module
	L2005-AA                                               Graphic
Output module (8-planes)
	L2006-AA        VCB03                             Graphics Expansion
module (16-planes)
	L2007-AA         MS60-AA                          8MB memory module
	L2007-BA         MS60-BA                         16MB memory module

	L2007-CA         MS60-CA                         32MB memory module
	L2008-00                                                 Tape
adapter module
	L2010              KA60-BA                           VAXstation 3820
CPU

	(Yes the formatting stinks but it started life as a web page ...)

	The L2008 is really an L2002 that can only cope with a TQK70
	on the Qbus. The Qbus support is pretty patchy with
	only a few options supported (I think DSv11 is one of them).

	There is no mention of a L2009 in the manual anywhere. If you
	have a L2010 then it is a real find!

	For the PSU to regulate properly you need two or more modules
	in slots 7 to 12.
	>I would luv to get NetBSD (or Ultrix on it), but have no success
	>getting the thing to boot from prom very well, except on its one
	>VMS 6.1 RZ56 disk.

	If you want NetBSD on it I think you need to start
	scribbling code. Or wait until another one turns up ...

	Antonio