Subject: Re: MV3300 newbie questions
To: Ben Jirou <bluesky6@ix.netcom.com>
From: Frederik Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/2000 21:09:07
Hi!

> 1. There's a card that is marked KFQSA/M7769. I can't find any info on
> this card. Is it a SCSI card or DSSI?

DSSI. KZQSA would be SCSI.

> 2. How do I bootstrap this thing? I want to install NetBSD. I don't
> have another machine with a TK70 tape drive. So can I boot it from the
> network? The NetBSD/Vax faq doesn't mention whether the MV3300 model
> can netboot.

Every VAX can (I'm not aware of one which can't). Just enter boot xqa0 at
the command prompt (to boot from a DEQNA).

> 3. Is there some description of the switches in front of the machine?
> I know one of them switches between BNC & AUI ethernet. There're also
> a couple of oher switches : a rotary and a slide switch which I don't
> understand.

I don't know the MV3300, but on my MicroVAX II the rotary switch is to
select the Baudrate.

www.vaxarchive.org???

> 5. Finally, is the small telephone jack in front for the serial
> console? If so, is there somewhere where I can find the pin outs to do
> a cable for my Wyse terminal?

Yes... I don't know on which mailinglist it was. Either it was classiccmp
or port-vax, but the Pinout-List came through on of the lists 2 weeks ago
(or something like that). But you should find the info you need on
www.vaxarchive.org (Pinouts, too).

Best Regards,
	Freddy

--
Geek Code 3.1: GCS s+: a--- C+++ UBOU+++ P-- E--- W++ N w--- V++ PGP- t? 5? tv

Frederik Meerwaldt  ICQ: 83045387  Homepage: http://www.freddym.org
 Bavaria/Germany              OpenVMS and Unix Howtos and much more
   FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Tru64, OpenVMS, Ultrix, BeOS, Linux