Subject: Re: MV3300 newbie questions
To: Ben Jirou <bluesky6@ix.netcom.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/2000 11:09:23
It turns out you are much luckier than you know.

At 10:48 AM 11/8/2000 -0800, Ben Jirou wrote:
>1. There's a card that is marked KFQSA/M7769. I can't find any info on
>this card. Is it a SCSI card or DSSI?

This is a DSSI interface, supported by NetBSD (the on-board DSSI interface
is _not_ currently supported).
When it comes time to configure this for NetBSD this is what you will want
to do:
         remove the silver "bars" that cover the card slots.
         Move the 50 pin cable that is plugged into the outer-socket
         of the two socket pair on the bottom of the CPU card (furthest right)
         to the 50 pin connector on the KFQSA.
         (this switches the internal hard disk from the CPU's DSSI interface
         to the supported KFQSA interface)

>2. How do I bootstrap this thing? I want to install NetBSD. I don't
>have another machine with a TK70 tape drive. So can I boot it from the
>network? The NetBSD/Vax faq doesn't mention whether the MV3300 model
>can netboot.

Yes, the MV3300 will netboot and this is the easiest way to get it
booted/installed.

>3. Is there some description of the switches in front of the machine?
>I know one of them switches between BNC & AUI ethernet. There're also
>a couple of oher switches : a rotary and a slide switch which I don't
>understand.

Yes but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. The rotary switch should be
set to point toward the slide switch (I believe it has an arrow next to it)
and the slide switch should be set to "dot inside the circle" if you don't
want it to automatically boot and "dot outside the circle" if you want it
to try to boot when it powers up.

>4. Is there a website/doc which describes the boot code? I assume that
>the small LED thing in front is for that.

The LED counts down the on board POST tests.

>5. Finally, is the small telephone jack in front for the serial
>console? If so, is there somewhere where I can find the pin outs to do
>a cable for my Wyse terminal?

Yes, it is a DEC RS-423 connector and can connect to an RS-232 terminal.
The VAX faq has the pinouts.

Its a fun little machine.
--Chuck