Subject: Re: NetBSD-VAX tape non-rewinding funzies
To: None <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/2000 09:03:37
On  7 Nov, Carl Lowenstein wrote:

> A visit to the manual page is called for, followed by a visit to the
> source code for the driver.
I did RTFM st(4) and there is written, that the bits 0 and 1 of the
minor number distinguish the mode (rewind, nonrewind, ...). So
/dev/rst0 must have 60 0 (is at 60 0)
/dev/nrst0 must have 60 1 (is at 60 4)
/dev/erst0 must have 60 2 (not made by MAKEDEV)
This can be different for other tapes (TMSCP, ...) depending on the
drivers. So I think MAKEDEV needs a update to treat the st device
different than mt. I will have a closer look at it today evening.

> Isn't the whole point of the non-rewind device that the tape does
> not rewind on close.
Sure. I wanted to say: When /dev/nrst0 points to major / minor device
numbers, that belongs to a rewinding device, then your approach does
not work.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen