Subject: Re: NetBSD-VAX tape non-rewinding funzies
To: None <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/07/2000 23:20:57
On  7 Nov, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> I just got a pointer to delete my *st* devices and remake them
> (I'm running 1.5B1 currently), in case some minor numbers are
> off.  I will try that tonight.
Hmmm? Hmmmmmm??? Lets have a look at the tape device nodes... tape
_block_ devices [deleting them] ... so we have:
---
[root@Zimbo root]$ l /dev/*st[0-9]*
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  4 Nov  7 22:16 /dev/nrst0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  5 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/nrst1
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60, 12 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/nrst8
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60, 13 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/nrst9
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  0 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/rst0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  1 Sep 27 20:11 /dev/rst1
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60, 12 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/rst12
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60, 13 Sep 27 20:11 /dev/rst13
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  4 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/rst4
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  5 Sep 27 20:11 /dev/rst5
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  8 Sep 27 20:10 /dev/rst8
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  60,  9 Sep 27 20:11 /dev/rst9
---
/dev/nrst0 == /dev/rst4 ???
I think we have a buggy MAKEDEV. Can anyone point to the correct minor
device numbers?

> I wonder where that idea would come from, especially with me spinning
> 9 track reels at these blocksizes.....(:+}}...
I remember the "When it rains VAXen it pours VAXen" thread at the TUHS
mailing list... :-)

> Heck, even a PDP-11/xx would be fun, especially with a 2.11BSD.
At the last meeting of the german VAX geeks a friend and I instaled
2.11BSD on a PDP-11/53. (Hi Emanuel and Christophe.) A nice experience.
I have a PDP-11/23 but this CPU can not run 2.11BSD and I have no disk
that is sopported by 2.09BSD. So I will try to get Ultrix-11 to run on
it...

> The 11/725 may be too tiny to work with, but how hard would
> it be to expand the HD space on one to use larger capacity drives?
The 11/725 is a 11/730 in a smaler enclosure. It has a UNIBUS. So I
think it is no problem to connect, say, a RA82 to it if you got a
UDA50.

>> Try PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD/maketape* from the TUHS / PUPS
>> archive. This my work.
> I will try that.
For me maketape was the only way to write working 4.3BSD-Quasijarus0a
boot tapes on / for a MVII with TK50. Emanuel reported that 2.11BSD
tapes have to be written with maketape, not dd. dd will not work. So I
did not try dd when I wrote the 2.11BSD tape.

> One fellow suggested letting it rewind then fsf'ing to the end and
> continuing.
Hmmm. I think this might not work, because every time you use mt(1) the
divice will be opened and closed. close on device => tape rewinds.

> (Vorgeben sie mir mein Deutsch.  Es ist einundvierzig Jahre das ich
> mein Deutsch in die Hochschule gelernt.  Viele Jahre...Viele Jahre...)
Das ist OK. But I hope my engish is better than your german. ;-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen