Subject: Re: NetBSD-VAX tape non-rewinding funzies
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/07/2000 16:24:56
> > Does anyone else have any insights as to why my Ciphers might be going
> > into an autorewind mode after a dd to a non-rewind device:

> Similar here with an:
> probe(asc0:1:0): max sync rate 5.00MB/s
> st0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <EXABYTE, EXB-8505DGBANXS1, 07T0> SCSI2 1/sequential removable
> st0: density code 21, variable blocks, write-enabled

> on a VS4k60. dd to /dev/nrst0 rewinds the tape.

At least I am not dreaming of it happening.....

I just got a pointer to delete my *st* devices and remake them
(I'm running 1.5B1 currently), in case some minor numbers are
off.  I will try that tonight.

> >    dd if=tapefile01 of=/dev/nrmt1h obs=512 conv=sync         (runs OK)
> >    dd if=tapefile02 of=/dev/nrmt1h obs=512 conv=sync         (runs OK)
> >    dd if=tapefile03 of=/dev/nrmt1h obs=10240 conv=sync       (autorewinds)
> >    dd if=tapefile04 of=/dev/nrmt1h obs=10240 conv=sync       (autorewinds)
> Hmm. This looks like some ancient Unix stuff? :-)

I wonder where that idea would come from, especially with me spinning
9 track reels at these blocksizes.....(:+}}...  I am hoping to write
an entire set of all available tapes, just in case I run across some
of the hardware just happening to waltz by my basement door.....(:+}}...
An 11/730 just running by would be nice.....(:+}}...  I would even
direct it where to set itself down.....  Heck, even a PDP-11/xx
would be fun, especially with a 2.11BSD.  Those PDP things be a
bit scarce in there here parts, but VAXen seem to abound aplenty.
We need an 11/730 port and an 11/725 port, I was thinking?
The 11/725 may be too tiny to work with, but how hard would
it be to expand the HD space on one to use larger capacity drives?

> Try PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD/maketape* from the TUHS / PUPS
> archive. This my work.

I will try that.

One fellow suggested letting it rewind then fsf'ing to the end and
continuing.  That will work, but be a bit hard on the hardware.
I want to be gentle on my Ciphers, for longevity....

I was hoping a straight linear motion in one direction dd set would do.
It works on Ultrix, but my archive machine is NetBSD-VAX (of course!) M76.
If the driver needs fixing, I am mostly only a code dummy, so may not
be too successful with it.  But, maybe the remake of the devices will
do it (keeping fingers crossed, and that kind of thing).  If not I
will mirror the bits on Ultrix and work from that off an M38.

Danke schoen, Jochen.... und aufwiedersehen....

Bob

(Vorgeben sie mir mein Deutsch.  Es ist einundvierzig Jahre das ich
mein Deutsch in die Hochschule gelernt.  Viele Jahre...Viele Jahre...)