Subject: Re: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/07/2000 11:23:34
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Lord Isildur wrote:

> 4.3tahoe is much faster than 1.4 at least, i havent tried 1.5 on a uvax
> yet but from what i see here it would be even slower. I think a lot of

	Slower to start up and on TCP/IP, but hopefully not in other
	areas. Would it be possible to run something like lmbench on
	4.3 and NetBSD to determine the big differences?

> this has to do with gcc being a mediocre compiler on the VAX. pcc2 is a
> very nice compiler, and the only thing that is keeping people here from
> using it is that most of the code these days is ANSI and not K&R and
> pcc[2] are k&r compilers. Anybody think it might be worthwhile to modify
> pcc2 to be ansi compatible and then ditch gcc on the VAX?
> (of course, the best C compiler for the VAX is the DEC vcc, the unix port
> of the VMS VAX C compiler.. :-)

	Is there any hope in trying to adjust gcc to produce closer code
	to pcc2?

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --