Subject: Re: OK I got me 9 track Cipher tape drives... now what...
To: Clint Wolff (VAX collector) <vaxman@uswest.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/2000 10:00:23
> Hi Bob,
>
> I am not aware of any VAXen that will BOOT from a nine-track tape.
> If someone knows how to do this on a 750, let me know. I currently
> have to boot and run the 4.3BSD utilities (format, etc) from the
> TU58.

Don't have any info on that critter, yet.

> That be said, the tape drives should work just fine on a 3100, or a
> SCSI equipped uVAX II.

They do, but when I tried booting, it just gave me a screen dump full
of register info, and then aborted to prom.  The hardware worked,
but the loader code apparently did not.

What would make the scsi tape booting so different between a TK50
or a TZ10 or something like that vs an old 9 track reel job?

Alas, on NetBSD, I can't get the non-rewinding function to work
properly.  It tars and dd's fine one time, but then autorewinds
after writing on anything but a tiny boot loader file.  Ultrix
runs it fine, though.

Thanks

Bob