Subject: Re: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/2000 15:20:46
Taking your wise lead, I pulled down the syssrc for 1.3.2 and 1.4.2 (both
having available vax install sets to match) and then 1.5_BETA on my system:

Doing a ruthless editing job of the 1.3.2 GENERIC kernel I come down to
(likely I need to keep some COMPAT stuff but I chopped that too):

  include         "arch/vax/conf/std.vax"
  options         "VAX630"
  maxusers        8
  options         INET
  file-system     FFS
  config          netbsd root on ? type ?
  backplane0      at root
  cpu0            at backplane0
  uba0            at backplane0
  uda0            at uba? csr 0172150
  mscpbus*        at uda?
  mtc0            at uba? csr 0174500
  mscpbus*        at mtc?
  ra*             at mscpbus? drive?
  mt*             at mscpbus? drive?
  qe0             at uba? csr 0174440
  dhu0            at uba? csr 0160440
  pseudo-device   loop    1
  pseudo-device   pty     48

Comparing 1.3.2 with a 1.4.2 hand edited GENERIC:

  diff -w 1.3.2 1.4.2
  7,9c7,9
  < backplane0    at root
  < cpu0          at backplane0
  < uba0          at backplane0
  ---
  > mainbus0      at root
  > cpu0          at mainbus0
  > uba0          at mainbus0
  14a15
  > rx*           at mscpbus? drive?

So we switched from "backplane" to "mainbus" and a
floppy drive has been added.

And then comparing 1.4.2 with a 1.5_BETA hand-edited GENERIC:

  diff -w 1.4.2 1.5.0
  8,9c8,9
  < cpu0          at mainbus0
  < uba0          at mainbus0
  ---
  > ibus0         at mainbus0
  > uba0          at ibus0
  20c20
  < pseudo-device   pty   48
  ---
  > pseudo-device   pty   64

So a new layer? has appeared called ibus and the pty count was upped.

One can drop the rx support as unrelated to the comparision as can any
change in the number of pty's.

Cheers,

-- Ken