Subject: Re: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/2000 13:40:15
> > > OK, how stripped down should I make the ``GENERIC'' kernel for a
> > > useful comparison on the MVII, for example?
> >
> >         Look at a 1.4 and 1.3 GENERIC and try commenting out any
> >         device, filesystem, cpu type, or network protocol added since :)
>
> What if he took a GENERIC from 1.2 or 1.3, custom stripped it down, then
> carried it forward?  I don't think a whole lot has changed, but I may be
> out to lunch.

I have that as this:

#	$NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.45 1999/03/26 22:04:07 ragge Exp $
#
# GENERIC VAX configuration file; MVII minimal only devices.
#

include		"arch/vax/conf/std.vax"
options 	"VAX630"	# MV II
maxusers	8
#options 	GATEWAY
options         INET
file-system 	FFS
#file-system 	NFS
#file-system 	PROCFS
#options 	NFSSERVER
#options 	NFS_BOOT_BOOTP,NFS_BOOT_DHCP	# Use bootp <> dhcp
#@ options 	NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM	# Use the Sun way for netbooting.
#@ options 	WSEMUL_VT100
#@ options 	WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=8
#options 	SYSVMSG
#options 	SYSVSEM
#options 	SYSVSHM

# Kernel(s) to compile
config          netbsd root on ? type ?
mainbus0	at root
cpu0		at mainbus0	# Only one CPU so far.
uba0		at mainbus0	# MicroVAXen only have QBUS.
uda0		at uba?	csr 0172150	# UDA50/RQDX?
uda1		at uba?	csr 0160334
mscpbus*	at uda?
mtc0		at uba? csr 0174500	# Tape MSCP ctlr
mscpbus*	at mtc?
ra*		at mscpbus? drive?	# MSCP disk
rx*		at mscpbus? drive?	# MSCP floppy
mt*		at mscpbus? drive?	# MSCP tape
qe0		at uba? csr 0174440	# DEQNA/DELQA
dhu0		at uba? csr 0160440	# DHU-11
pseudo-device   loop	1
pseudo-device   pty	48
pseudo-device	vnd	4

That is pretty much as far down as an MVII kernel can go, I would
think.  That cut the size from 1.4M down to 0.6M, right off the
bat.  But, even with that on 1.5B1, the 1.3.2 was faster.

Would the above make a reasonable config to use, or should I add
back in the nfs, sysV bits, and wscons bits (is that really used
on a serial driven VAX?)?

Bob