Subject: Re: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/2000 13:19:33
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>
> > > Has bit bloat finally set into the VAX port?
> >
> > For fun, I checked some generic kernel sizes for VAX.....
> >
> > 32V                         59528

Now that 32V thingie is a dainty kernel!

> > 4.2BSD                     291840

Not too bad either.

> > 4.3BSD                     407552
> >
> > 4.3BSD-Quasijarus(1999)    484352

These all use the pre-gcc compiler suites.

> > NetBSD-1.2                      ?
> >
> > NetBSD-1.3                 865218
> >
> > NetBSD-1.4                1015803
> >
> > NetBSD-1.5                1402255

And now gcc and Feeping Creatures (or is that rats in the bit bucket?)

> 	As a test, try compiling a 1.5 GENERIC kernel with only the
> 	hardware/filesystems/network-protocols from 1.4 and 1.3 ...

OK, how stripped down should I make the ``GENERIC'' kernel for a
useful comparison on the MVII, for example?

Bounce me what you feel is an appropriate test kernel config, and I
will use that.

> 	I would still expect it to be larger as various other features
> 	get added, but not quite such a difference...

It is creeping in from somewhere.....(:+{{...

For comparison, my minimal stripped MVII kernel of 1.5B1 is  ~650000
compared to the 1.5 generic kernel of                        1402255

Bob