Subject: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/2000 11:53:24
I loaded up the 1.5_BETA VAX suite on my VS3100/M76 and MVII last night.
Nice on the M76..... like a snail on the MVII, even with stripped kernel.
Kernel compile on the M76 for the MVII only took about 1.5-2 hours.
I have not tried it on the MVII, natively, yet, but I hear it takes
LOOOOONG time.....(:+}}...

For fun I did a load of 1.3.2 on the MVII, and compared things like
ethernet rate, boot speed, etc., and the 1.3.2 far outran the 1.5_BETA
on the MVII, even with a stripped to the bare bones 1.5 kernel.  Ethernet
speeds, for example were 33% faster on the 1.3.2 with generic kernel,
compared to the 1.5_BETA with stripped kernel.  That includes disk
I/O time.  Boot time on the 1.3.2 was about 30-45 seconds.  Boot time
on the 1.5_BETA was approaching FIVE MINUTES.  Yikes!

Is there anything that can be done to speed along the aging MVII critter
with a current NetBSD VAX port?

Is any particular revision level known to be fastest on the MVII?

Are there any particular MVII tweaks or tricks I should be doing?

Has bit bloat finally set into the VAX port?

Insights, horror-stories, success-stories, news-at-11, etc., appreciated.

Thanks

Bob