Subject: cross compiler for vax-netbsd
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Bell <steve@discus.lincoln.ac.nz>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/20/2000 13:49:47
Hi all,
    I'm trying to set up a cross compiler for a vax-netbsd target
    on a i586-linux host but have run into a few problems.
    [I've sucessfully built gcc cross compilers for other machines]
=20
    I'm not sure I'm building from the correct sources.
    The cross-linker is the only thing not working, any help/pointers would=
 be=20
    appreciated.=20

    here's the picture..

    I had binutils-2.9 but couldn't=A0configure the vax-netbsd target
    so downloaded binutils-2.10 (I noticed the 1.4.2 GENERIC release
    was using GNU as 2.9.1 )

    I couldn't configure binutils vax-netbsd but after a few simple mods
    vax-bsd works and builds a working cross assembler.=20
    (there was a problem with TRAD_HEADERS)
    =20
    I did have a "vax-netbsd" cross compiler on another machine (I set=20
    this up in may 1999) but it has missing parts and doesn't look like =20
    it was ever setup with the correct cross assembler.. unless i was using=
 chroot.
    [I was using an egcs (egcs 1.1.2, 2.9.1 binutils)snapshot to build an=
=20
     alpha-linux cross compiler last year and may have used those sources=
=20
     to build the vax-netbsd cross compiler, the alpha cross compiler=20
     worked great but i'm not sure about the vax one]

    I'm using an nfs root mounted filesystem on the vax (1.4.2 GENERIC)
    so I can get the vax headers from there..

    so here where I'm at..

     the old cross compiler works (-S produces valid asm files which can=20
     be built the rest of the way on the vax ) (egcs-1.1.2??)
 =20
     The new vax-bsd cross assembler works and produces object files
     which I can link on the vax..  so far so good.

     the cross linker is the bit i'm having trouble with.
     I'm still working on figuring out how to run it manually & feed it lib=
s=20
     from the nfs root, but it doesn't seem to recognise the vax=20
     binformat.
Cheers,
     Steve