Subject: Re: When it rains VAXen it pours VAXen....(:+}}...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/16/2000 17:53:22
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > 	>OK, now we are getting to the nittygritty.  What are the switch
> > 	>settings to use a TK50 as a secondary controller?
> >
> > 	The secondary address is floating in the range 17760010-17763776
> > 	(octal). Exactly what you pick depends on what else you have in
> >       there.
> > 	Almost any Q-bus box later than a MicroVAX II has a CONFIG command
> > 	built in to the console which lets you work this out.
>
> OK, the thing will have a standard TK70 controller and tape as the
> primary tape, and then the added in TK50 controller and tape as the
> secondary tape.  That should correlate with rmt0 and rmt1, I am hoping.

Yup.

> The only other boards in the thing are the 8 port serial controller
> and the dilogic scsi card, then the cpu and ram.  Being relatively
> the dunce on Qbus things, I really have no idea, and no docs of any
> sort that fills me in on how/where/what/etc on these things.

We need better information.
*What* serial controller.
Is the SCSI card disk only?
(Yes, the SCSI cards for Uni-/Q-Bus are not general SCSI, but are either
disk, tape, or both... That's because they emulate two different type of
controllers.)

> Eventually, I hope to scrounge up a DELQA for it, and one more ram
> card.  That should be most everything, initially.

The first DELQA also have a fixed address, so it don't interfere with
anything. RAM don't take place in the CSR space either.

> Is some of this covered in the PDP-11 hardware listings?  I did not
> see much in the VMS faq.  I have not checked elsewhere, yet.

I don't think the PDP-11 FAQ covers this. Maybe we should write of
something about Unibus and Q-Bus CSR and vector assignments...

	Johnny