Subject: Re: When it rains VAXen it pours VAXen....(:+}}...
To: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/16/2000 11:37:16
> 	>OK, now we are getting to the nittygritty.  What are the switch
> 	>settings to use a TK50 as a secondary controller?
>
> 	The secondary address is floating in the range 17760010-17763776
> 	(octal). Exactly what you pick depends on what else you have in
>       there.
> 	Almost any Q-bus box later than a MicroVAX II has a CONFIG command
> 	built in to the console which lets you work this out.

OK, the thing will have a standard TK70 controller and tape as the
primary tape, and then the added in TK50 controller and tape as the
secondary tape.  That should correlate with rmt0 and rmt1, I am hoping.

The only other boards in the thing are the 8 port serial controller
and the dilogic scsi card, then the cpu and ram.  Being relatively
the dunce on Qbus things, I really have no idea, and no docs of any
sort that fills me in on how/where/what/etc on these things.

Eventually, I hope to scrounge up a DELQA for it, and one more ram
card.  That should be most everything, initially.

Is some of this covered in the PDP-11 hardware listings?  I did not
see much in the VMS faq.  I have not checked elsewhere, yet.

> 	The address bits are set with A12:A2 (A2 is the jumper nearest
> 	the edge). Leave the switch packs alone.

OK, what do the switch packs do, for the sake of discussion?

> 	If you post exactly which cards you expect to have in your box
> 	I can run them through SYSGEN  CONFIG on VMS for you.

OK, that would be cool.... as indicated above.

> 	>OK, I have heard of this infamous tape, and I thought I had one in
> 	>my tape collection, but I can't seem to find it.
>
> 	You sure it's not just that the margin is too small for you
> 	to write in it :-)

Well, I did find the tape, but on close inspection, the previous owner
of the tape had written a VMS backup over the diagnostics.  CRAPOLA!
Oh, well, such is the bane and pain of MicroVAXing.....(:+{{...

Getting there.... getting there.....

Bob