Subject: Re: local install after netboot (vs4000 vlc)
To: Peter Van Hertum <petervh@easynet.be>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/12/2000 15:59:46
This may not be the best way but I reciently did:
o disklabel the local hard drive, Also add boot blocks with disklabel
o fdisk your partitions - say sd0a for the new root and sd0d for new usr
o mount your partitions off of the nfs disk root on /newroot and usr on /newroot/usr
o obtain the binary sets - probably easiest to put on nfs area.
o cd /newroot
o tar xvfzp pathtoset/base.tgz
o do similar to other sets
o make sure you have a kernel in /newroot
o cd /newroot/etc and create a fstab with with /dev/sd0a / and /dev/sd0d
  on /usr
o cd /newroot/dev and ./MAKEDEV -all
====== Above recommended before booting of local drive =====
o if you have users installed copy over the password files from /etc to
  /newroot/etc
o You will want to create a /newroot/etc/ifconfig.le0 with your ethernet
o You may want to set myname, mygate and resolv in /newroot/etc
o Adjust localtime in /newroot/etc
o Adjust rc.conf in /newroot/etc
o Adjust inet.conf in /newroot/etc

You can now try to boot off the local drive:
shutdown -h now
>>> boot dk....

Hope this helps.
johnh...