Subject: Re: MicroVax II netbooting
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/10/2000 13:42:46
Hi,

I had some of the same problems booting my precious MicroVax II.
Unfortunately, the server/client computers are at home right now,
and not within my reach.  However, I can tell you that Brian's
FAQ didn't work for me with 1.4.x until I had dhcpd set up on
the server.  For the server, I am using NetBSD running on a
DecStation, which I have found to be very friendly netboot
server.  Linux RedHat, anything later than 5.x, I would stay
away from.  I wasted a lot of time with that.

I got help from Chuck M. and several others on this list
(especially Brian C.), and cobbled together the following
/etc/dhcpd.conf file, which works on the Univ. of Md. campus:

#-------------------------- dhcpd.conf ----------------
use-host-decl-names on;
server-name "inforumdec";
option domain-name "umd.edu";
option domain-name-servers 128.8.76.2;

subnet 128.8.56.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option broadcast-address 128.8.56.255;
  option routers 128.8.56.1;
}

host inforumvax {
  hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:0f:43:0c;
  fixed-address 128.8.56.99;
  option root-path "/export/inforumvax/root";
  option host-name "inforumvax";
}
#---------- end dhcpd.conf -------------------------

In this case, inforumdec is the server, on which this file
is installed, and dhcpd is told to run in the /etc/rc.conf
file.  inforumvax is the client.  The rootpath on the
server is /export/inforumvax/root.  Everything else was
set up exactly according to Brian's FAQ.  Of course, you'll
want to change your ip's to match your site.  Netbooting
of many hosts can be accomplished by adding a new section
for each host (client).

Brian, if you get any time to update that wonderful FAQ,
I would say that all you need is a paragraph or so about
dhcpd.  I haven't had any trouble at all netbooting vaxes
of all flavors since I started using it.

If I didn't say it already (I did) stay away from RedHat
6.x, 7.x!!

Doug