Subject: Re: MicroVax II netbooting
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/10/2000 11:20:52
> It just sounds like you you need to get a DHCP server running and serving
> up the diskless boot into.  Using DHCP is actually somewhat simpler than
> bootparamd.  I also recommend using DHCP instead of BOOTP.  It's newer,
> but backwards compatible with BOOTP.  See man dhcpd and man dhcpd.conf for
> some more details on setting this up.  I'd give you an example config
> file, but I'm still unpacking from a recent move and don't have all my
> computers up yet.
>
> Someone else on the list may also be able to provide you with an example
> /etc/dhcpd.conf file.

A few weeks ago I was trying to use one VS3100 to netboot another.  I
had dhcpd sending back all of the information the loader on the client
wanted, but then the loader couldn't mount NFS.  tcpdump showed that
it wasn't talking to the port that rpcbind said nfsd was listening on;
it was off by two or something.

I switched to using bootparamd and everything was fine.

Has anyone else seen this?  I was using the boot.mop from Chuck McManis'
1.5_ALPHA snapshot, branded "Aug  5 2000".  I can reproduce the setup and
give more details if anyone wants.

Matt

--
Matt Fredette