Subject: Re: MicroVax II netbooting
To: bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/10/2000 10:06:12
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, bart sikkes wrote:

> Ok, this comes as a major shock to us :)
>
> Because with the HOWTO we had a nice step by step instruction what to
> do and what to put in certain files. Now were flying free not sure
> anymore what programs we have to use and so on.

Yes, I know it's evil.  I apologize.

It sounds like you're very close to having this work.  If you can get the
NFS serving working properly (which does have unique problems using Linux
as the NFS server, because Linux is kind of flakey in this role).

It just sounds like you you need to get a DHCP server running and serving
up the diskless boot into.  Using DHCP is actually somewhat simpler than
bootparamd.  I also recommend using DHCP instead of BOOTP.  It's newer,
but backwards compatible with BOOTP.  See man dhcpd and man dhcpd.conf for
some more details on setting this up.  I'd give you an example config
file, but I'm still unpacking from a recent move and don't have all my
computers up yet.

Someone else on the list may also be able to provide you with an example
/etc/dhcpd.conf file.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
            What in the HELL are you talking about?  -- red.