Subject: Re: MicroVax II netbooting
To: bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/10/2000 08:18:11
I'm not certain that this is the problem you're hitting right now, but
make sure that rpc.mountd on your Linux server is running with the
following option, `--no-nfs-version 3'.  The RH6.x (and maybe even 7.0)
had serious problems when serving NFS.  By default, their mountd answered
NFSv3 mount requests when the kernel had no support for NFSv3.  This was a
very bad thing.

-brian.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, bart sikkes wrote:

> The ever continuing story of netbooting a microvax II goes on.
>
> We now use vax-port of NetBSD-1.4.1 and have installed all the files we
> needed from this version. The correct version of the boot.mop is found after
> that we get:
> >> Press any key to abort autoboot (with a counter that keeps showing 5)
>
> We press enter and see:
> > boot netbsd
> Trying BOOTP
>
> Now nothing happens, the only thing we see on tcpdump is this:
> 14:33:45.552149 B 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.pootps: [|bootp]
>
> We have waited for something, but further nothing happens.
>
> Can someone help us get going again?
>
> thanks,
> bart
>
> ps:
> As netboot server we're using a redhat 6.1 system with kernel 2.2.16.
> Between the netboot server is a crosslink cable and on the vax we've put an
> UTP to Vax ethernetcard connector converter.
>
> verions mopd: 2.5.3
> version bootparamd: 1.0.1 (i think)
> version nfs: 2.2 beta 47

--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
                  Windows is a 16-bit operating system
                  so it can only go up to 64k of bugs.  -- K.