Subject: Re: Configurating DSSI drives on MicroVAX 3400 (and 3300)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/09/2000 17:28:43
> At 05:19 PM 10/9/00 -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> >I have a question.   A list member passed me an RF35 drive for testing.
> >It is loaded on my MV3300.  But, when installing the drive, I noticed that
> >the label said ``RF35/RZ35''.  What does that mean, specifically?
> >That sort of smells like an RF drive is really a SCSI drive?
>
> What it means is that DEC sold two different "bottom plates" on the same
> drive mechanism, one was SCSI and one was DSSI.

Ahh, now I see what is happening.  How crude.  I was hoping something
really wierd like (they marketed scsi as dssi for hype reasons) might
be the case, so that if it was unsupported, a sub might be made, that
electrically could be made compatible.

I guess not.....

Where can I find out the protocol/hardware/elecrical specs for DSSI?

Thanks

Bob