Subject: Re: strange ld error: destdir.vax/usr/lib: read_file_symbols(header): premature EOF
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/08/2000 17:58:40
(note: current-users added back to To: list)

On Sun 08 Oct 2000 at 10:41:08 -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> The build shouldn't be using $DESTDIR/usr/bin/cc to compile.  A successful
> build requires an updated toolchain -- both gcc (egcs) and binutils -- to be
> in /usr/bin, outside of $DESTDIR.

Then let me assert that, in my opinion, it shouldn't.

AFAIK many people have expressed the opinion before that it is highly
desirable to be able to "just build" the world, without installing
anything in the host system. If anything thus installed happens to be
broken or incompatible with anything else, you have a big problem which
may not be fixable without a fresh install of a stable system. To
mention just one thing: installing new header files or shared libraries
makes it impossible or difficult to build any software that will run on
an older, released system.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.