Subject: RE: Now Ive gone and done it
To: Andrew Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/05/2000 10:21:39
Hi Andy, you probably weren't dreaming, you probably had a KFQSA installed
in the system. (Weird but useful board). At the Vintage Computer Festival I
had a uVAX 3800 and a uVAX 3400 both in BA213 cabinets running (I also had
a couple of 4000/200s but they were in a BA215 and BA440 respectively) The
interesting thing about the 3800 is that it uses three boards (CPU, KFQSA,
DESQA) to achieve what the 3400 does on one board, consequently the 3400 is
actually a bit faster (even through the CPU is technically slower).
Presumably this is due to less bus contention between the ethernet, disks,
and q-bus.

The 4000/300 has a DSSI (actually two!) on board and they are not yet
supported. I'm not sure how easily my driver will port, so far I've been
working on getting the MSCP "class" driver working to my satisfaction.

--Chuck