Subject: Re: boot blocks
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/02/2000 13:37:49
Depends.

If you want to label a disk with boot blocks that are compatible with the
system the is currently running on the machine, then typing
         disklabel -B sd0
would do the trick.

If you're trying to use the Alpha2 snapshot of 1.5 then nothing will help
you except to get a new kernel because, as reported here earlier, the SCSI
support on the M3100 is broken.

If you're trying to "upgrade" your boot blocks (that is to say you're
running 1.4 and you need to upgrade to the 1.5 boot blocks but you're still
using 1.4 during the install) then you need something like
         disklabel -B sd0 -b /mnt/usr/mdec/sdboot

--Chuck