Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 on VS3100/m30 and external SCSI
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/30/2000 14:55:32
Dear vs3100 people,
   I may have located the problem with the vax 3100 having trouble after
6/25.  On 6/25 ncr.c was changed to have:
===== ncr.c line 152 =====
        /*
         * DMA area mapin.
         * On VS3100, split the 128K block between the two devices.
         * On VS2000, don't care for now.
         */
#define DMASIZE (64*1024)
        if (va->va_paddr & 0x100) { /* Secondary SCSI controller */
                sc->ncr_off = DMASIZE;
                sc->onlyscsi = 1;
        }
        sc->ncr_addr = (caddr_t)va->va_dmaaddr;
        ncr_dmasize = min(va->va_dmasize, MAXPHYS);
====================
If I take the 6/26 sources I have the problem of newfs failing with
read only disk.
If I comment out the line:
               sc->ncr_off = DMASIZE
and rebuild the kernel the newfs seems to be happy.

The value va->va_dmasize is 0x0000fc00
Both scsi drives are on the second scsi controler.  The tkxx drive is on
the first scsi controler but has no tape in it.

I'm rebuilding a ALPHA2 kernel with the ncr_off setting line commented out
to see if the ALPHA2 sources work with that mod.

Where do we get docs to find out how the DMA on the 3100 should really
work.

johnh...