Subject: Re: LN03 printers... any good for an old MicroVAX 3300?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <alx-bsd@adenzel.demon.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/26/2000 09:25:48
Clint

> It is my experience the LN03 classic is useless for anything short
> of text output. It uses lots of embedded control characters to select
> fonts and graphics, and is different from any printer nowdays.

Actually it uses a modified set of VT100-like codes, so you can make a
screendump of a vt100 (or newer) and it looks the same, including character
attributes and line graphics.

> > I noticed out in the surplus pit this week, a couple of LN03 printers
> > (the DEC laserjet things).  What exactly are these, and are they likely
> > to be usable on NetBSD with a MicroVAX 3300?  Are parts/toners, etc.,
> > available or should I opt for an apple postscript kind of printer?

Compaq has still some supplies on the website:
   http://www5.compaq.com/products/printers/options/laser_ln03.html

And any printer is good, as long as it has a serial (or network) interface...

Alx.