Subject: Re: VS3100/M76 dead scsi-B port?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/2000 16:34:50
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > 	Did you pull the three terminator paks from the controller card
> > just behind the bulkhead? I've noticed DEC stuff doesn't like to work
> > unless the termination is set right. Never hurts to see if you have more
> > than one drive supplying termination power to the bus or has on-drive
> > termination enabled...
>
> I need to check the controller card.  All the drives are DEC storage
> boxes with RZ57's, etc., and the CD is an RRD42, all with no termination
> (end of chain has DEC dongle terminator).  I will check that controller
> card when I get home.
>
> Is the M76 controller card using a loop cable like the lesser VS3100
> things on the B bus, or something else (it sounds like something else)?
>
> Bob

	I don't actually have a dual-SCSI controller in my 3100, but if
memory serves. The A channel was looped for the internal drives, and the
B-channel was for external devices only and wasn't looped. That could just
be totally off the wall, but who knows. Methinks there was some docs
on the dual channel controller on vaxarchieve or the NetBSD web site
(main page => Documentation => Hardware Documentation)
	I've seen very very strange things when you don't use a looped
cable on a looped controller (Like the same drive appearing on all
seven SCSI ID's at the same time) Just remember, if you think SCSI is bad,
try IDE or ST-506 :-)

	Chris