Subject: Re: Continuing MV3300 funzies --- dead ethernet card?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/2000 16:27:24
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> or 4.2.  Ping sees the port is alive, netstat -i says it is ifconfigged,
> but ftp into or out of it just dies.... timeout, nothing.  Netstat suggests
> some packets are corrupted or with errors.  The ifconfig line is rc.local
> is:     ifconfig ln0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx up.      This is when setup to use
> either the AUI port with a dongle, or the BNC port with a terminator TEE.
> Neither of the little LED lights on the patch connect panel show activity.

	I notice you aren't specifying a broadcast or netmask address,
this might be a problem if the ln driver doesn't figure them out
automagically. Try

ifconfig ln0 192.168.0.X broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

	If the kernel you're running still says ln instead of le, it
probably doesn't have the kernel "smarts" to set
broadcast/multi/netmask/etc. automagically. Just a thought, if cleaning
the selector switch doesn't fix it.

	Chris