Subject: Re: About critters...
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/2000 15:29:14
> At 08:33 PM 9/25/00 +0200, Pierre-Michel Ricordel wrote:
> >I am also very curious to know the exact functions of these switch.
> >On my VAXserver 4000/200 I have the same thingies.
>
> Hello Pierre-Michel, these are documented on the web but a quick google
> search didn't turn them up. Sigh, I'll look them up when I get home and
> post them. Perhaps abs can put them up on the FAQ somewhere.

Do, please.   I remember seeing them about 3 years ago when I got my
first VAX (a 3500 that we blew up before we knew any better), and have
used 3100 class boxes ever since.  But, now that I have a MV3300 to
worry about, too, I probably do need to find out what specifically
those symbols and switches mean.

> >  I am also still
> >wondering the meaning of the three connectors on my power supply, labelled
> >MO, SI and SO. They look like RJ45 at first, but are very different when
> >you look closer.
>
> Oh-boy, you could help me out big time here. Your system has DSSI drives?

Mine does.... MV3300.

> Is there a board installed to the right of the CPU card just before the
> power supply?

Yep.

> (it hides behind a metal plate that is one board wide and
> screwed at the top and bottom) I am _seriously_ in need of the DEC part
> number for the cable that goes from the CPU's DSSI interface (50 pin
> connector beside the memory connector) to the card that is hiding behind
> that metal cover (it's numbered M9715). The cable has a high density
> connector on the other end. If you have that cable in your VAX and could
> get me the part number, I can get my 4000/200 up and running with its DSSI
> drives.

If that is the same cable that is in my MV3300, I will look into it when
I get home, tonight, since I have to open it up for the ethernet port
switch lube job.  If it is not, well, sorry.  Where should the number
be on that cable (a white barrel wrap tag?)?

> That will certainly help my efforts in getting DSSI running on these beasts.

IF I can get my ethernet port working, I will offer my box as a guinea
pig for testing.  I will have to use TK50 or ethernet to boot, since I
don't have any way to run scsi on it, yet.  If I can get it going from
an Ultrix boot, I could set up the second HD as a NetBSD test drive.
Since the TK50 tape boot is independent of the scsi bus, could a standard
boot tape from 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 be used to boot the thing into a ramdisk
kernel, and then load from ftp (if my ethernet works) or tape?  I have
not thought to try that, but logic would suggest it ought to at least
come up into the kernel even if no scsi devices were found?

Bob