Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 questions
To: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/2000 19:24:05
Hi !

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Rink Springer wrote:
> I have a VAX 4000/300. I nicely got the thing to work (it nicely boots over
> the ethernet interface EZA0). I've acquired an OpenVMS Hobbyist Edition
> CD... but the point is, I can't get my darned SCSI CD drive to work! The box
> itself says it supports SCSI (there is a  SHOW SCSI console command). But,
> when I hook up the device to the Centronics 50-pins interface, which I
> assume is the SCSI interface, the drive never gets found! Can someone please
> help me?!?

You mean this Centronics connector on the left side of the chassis? This is
a kind of "Input", which just is there for connecting it to a SCSI controller
in the QBus. This SCSI bus goes up to the right drive bay, where there can be
located a TLZ04 or other stuff. The 4000/300 does not have any SCSI, if you
don't plug it into the QBus.

> I just read someone using Ultrix on the VAXes... anyone know where I can get
> that?

Not on the 4000s. Ultrix was suspended somewhen in the 3100 series, the 4000s
are pure VMS (and NetBSD :-) machines.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.