Subject: Re: RZ58 jumper settings
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/19/2000 16:22:41
At 9:27 PM +0200 9/19/2000, <nbsd@righi.dhs.org> wrote:

>Just a curiosity
>We always are talking here of DEC RZ SCSI disks.
>But a standard SCSI disk let;s say IBM or Quantum or whatever, can it be
>usable on VAX with NetBSD?
>for example I have a VAXstation 4000/60
>
>I can use a disk different from a DEC model ??

     Ostensibly yes, SCSI is SCSI. I think we speak of RZ disks as
often as we do because when DEC was at its peak, it could have taught
Bill Gates a few things about being proprietary. Keeping your system
all-DEC is probably a response to unpleasant experiences trying to
get anything that DEC didn't make to work with DEC gear. DEC made
things that were sort of, but not really, compliant with various
standards. Their earliest SCSI gear (TLZ04, RRD50) was an example.
When you don't have any manuals, it's one way to play it safe.

     Best regards,
     Mike Dowden