Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2, newfs and rz56
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/15/2000 19:12:44
on 9/14/00 12:47 AM, John Hayward at John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu wrote
something like:

> Dear Vax Fans,
> I reciecently installed 1.5_ALPHA2 on a MicroVax 3100.  Because I had
> difficulty with making a file system I have the system netbooting with
> / mounted via nfs.

    Some months ago there was a patch posted for some rather bizzare
happenings with the RZ-56 & RZ-57 IIRC. I can only assume that these SCSI
Driver issues were pulled up into 1.5Alpha (or even current). If not that is
likely the root of your problem.

<snip>

> Is anyone else seeing these kind of problems?
>
> I note that 1632*15*53 = 1297440 where the dmesg indicates 1299174
> I don't know if that is because of bad sector forwarding or different
> number of sectors per track over the disk or something else.

    I wonder if this is part of the prior RZ-56 problem where the SCSI
driver was using reserved space on the disk that it shouldn't be using.

<snip>

    A Google search at http://www.google.com/bsd might turn something up...

    Chris