Subject: RE: MicroVAX 3300 console port?
To: 'NetBSD Bob' <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/2000 20:58:17
	>It powered up ok, and would do nothing but stick on a 6 in the
display,
	>or a 5 depending upon switch settings.  On a lark we totally
removed
	>all boards, and then reinstalled everything.  It appears the CPU
board
	>was not fully seated in its bus, and did not come up correctly.
	>After reseating, it came up fine!  Alas, I could not get an Ultrix

	Remind me to tell you about the day I thought I'd destroyed a
	VAX 6000-400 ... In fact I've been told by a former FS engineer
	that he could often fix faults with BI boxes by just reseating the
	boards. So now we know it's true for XMI and Qbus too
	(although given the levers used to push those boards in
	I'm somewhat surprised).

	>It did not have a dssi bus terminator, but that did not seem to
	>do anything to the operating of the thing.  What exactly is that
	>dssi bus terminator?

	Well it's a terminator for the DSSI bus :-) But seriously it does
	exactly what a SCSI bus terminator does for a SCSI bus except
	it obviously does it for a DSSI bus.

	If you want to test the hardware and you don't have Ultrix
	then you could try OpenVMS (the hobby licence lets you run
	it) - it will give you some confidence that the disks do actually
	work.

	Antonio